Sunday, December 16, 2012

A modern take on Bonhoeffer

First they came for privacy. But I have nothing to hide, so I complied.
Then they came for security of a person from unreasonable search. But it was for the greater good, so I complied.
Then they came for speech. But I say nothing of hate, opposition, or aggression, so I complied.
Then they came for the dissidents. But I am not a dissident, so I complied.
Then they came for the guns. But I don't own or like guns, so I complied.
I then stopped and realized that guns, dissent, speech, security, and privacy are all necessary components of a free society and I had willfully complied with and even demanded for the removal of these liberties because "It's for the greater good" and "It doesn't affect me, I've done nothing wrong."
It was too late. I now have no choice but to comply or I fear they will come for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated. I don't suffer temper tantrums.