Thursday, January 31, 2013

Say what you mean



Something a little lighter for today.

We have become such a "Gotcha!" culture that every word you say is scrutinized. In truth, this isn't a new phenomenon.  Back in the 70's Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder made a comment that blacks are better athletes because in slave times, they were bred to be bigger and stronger, which is 100% verifiable true, and he got fired because of it.
Now though, this sociopolitical sensitivity has produced the professional apology. And it's truly reached the point of insanity. If your comment offends ANYONE, you are immediately to come out with an apology, detailing how insensitive it was, or how you didn't think about what you were saying, or how, as King Barry I does constantly, explain how your comments were taken out of context.
Opie & Anthony, 2 radio DJ's who've probably gotten fired or suspended more times than anyone else on the radio medium today, have explained on their show numerous times how the 'apology' is always, 100% pure bullshit. They've done it themselves, having replayed their apologies on air, and explained exactly where in the 'apology' they're lying through their teeth. And then they've played other professional apologies and when you stop, listen, replay, listen, replay, you start to see where the person is just trying to cover their ass.
CYA is the name of the game and at some level, I get it. And I also understand the company these people are working for, getting ansy when one of their 'talent' says something "offensive". They're trying to portray their product in a certain light and they don't want anyone fucking that up. When someone does, they often want to put distance between themselves and that person, so to try and avoid that distance, the person who couldn't keep their mouth shut (or clothes on or liquor in check, etc...) tries to, in truth, play off what  they said or did, giving the business an out to say "See, they're sorry for what they did."
But We need to stop playing this game and realize that some people say dumb shit. For some, it really is a mistake or in no way meant to offend. Don Imus comes to mind. Yes, for some people, it's really what they mean. This overly-sensitive culture is just fucking ridiculous.
It's one of the reasons I don't mind Ann Coulter. On some things, she can be as annoying as Jehovah's Witness's, but the one thing you have to truly love about Ann is she will say what she means and does not give one fuck as to what you think about it. The media blow up of her calling John Edwards a faggot was hysterical to watch because you could see in her eyes that she didn't care what they said. I know why, but the fact that she's not held in high regard by the "Womens Movement" for being a bold, charismatic, outspoken, and successful opinion writer is a crime.
I understand that this whole post can be seen as sort of hypocritical, as I'm doing my own form of CYA by not using my real name or face, yet I'm saying what I mean. The difference here is, if my information were to "come out", about who I was, I wouldn't pull the "Oh, what I really meant was..." or "I was being insensitive when I referred to Barrack Obama as King Barry I and I called him a cocksucking cuntwad. I didn't mean it the way it came out."

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated. I don't suffer temper tantrums.